The Matrix



(Still working on this)

Have you ever wondered if you really had superpowers? Remember when you were a little kid you could fly or you could move objects across the room using your mind? Or one of my favorite; teleporting. While watching this film called Matrix I couldn't help but look at the desk in front of me and feel like  I could kick it through the walls or manipulate its structure and make it melt into liquid or make it evaporate into a gas. The Matrix is reality's cloak and dagger. This film is jam packed with references to mythology and history.

(This is where I talk a bit about the plot)

What is real to me is only determined by emotional respones which steam from my senses telling my brain what real. If I can feel it, see it, touch it smell it and or taste it, then to me its real and I reject all other truths. Compared to the Allegory of the Cave; sensory played a pivotal role for how the prisoners in the cave connected to the world. Similar to Neo when introduced to the Matrix.


In the film Neo takes a literal leap into the unknown. Trusting and believing in himself to make it across to the other side of a rooftop where Morpheus stood. But sure enough he sold himself short. He solely believed in what he was seeing as oppose to the truth; the other side didn't really exist in the first place. Fear of falling midway became his reality as soon as his let his fear take over. Similar to Allegory of the cave the fear and the pain of reality drove the freed prisoner to run back into the cave before he could comprehend the real world. The idea that we instinctively reject new truths that are presented to us because they obscure what we think we know is what the allegory of the cave and the Matrix puts to test; making us humans question the cognitive sciences; the ability to manipulate our perceptions of reality; the idea that thought equals manifest. You can do anything you set your mind to do all you have to do is believe in yourself. Having the ability and freedom to see passed the "shadows" in our own caves and walk into the light of own realities. And like the Matrix we are one in our consciousness therefore as we get plugged into the world our perceptions of reality vary.




2 comments:

  1. Like me, I didn't break up my paragraphs and I still need to add the rest of my paper!

    But this is defintely a good start!

    you have really good details in your second paragraph you just need a few more paragraphs and a conclusion.

    steam -->stem

    telling my brain what (is) real

    i will finish this when we both finish our papers:)

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work!
    Is your comparison in the Matrix to Plato's Allegory in the cave?
    I gave a very good opinionated view on what you were able to grasp from the movie and also from the cave. I wish you had elaborated your ideas a little further and more in depth. It seems to be unfinished. But overall you did a good job!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete